Taste Triangle 5: Beyond Good & Evil / My favourite Zelda!


Let's see if this review format works with videogames as well, starting with a game I really like that is now getting a sequel that I'm super scared about because it looks nothing like this.

My History / Console-ation Prize

Most of my childhood gaming was done on consoles. First the PSone, then an XBox, then a PS2, then an XBox 360 and a Wii. I've since moved almost exclusively to PC for my gaming needs and also caught up on some oldies I missed (e.g. the classic 3D Zeldas, which will turn out to be a very fitting example), but for the longest time my gaming was limited to the console I had available and the contents of local stores' bargain bins.

I'd be lying if I said Beyond Good & Evil was an informed purchase, or that I even remember the specifics of when/where I got it, but it was very probably a bargain bin pickup that looked good enough to give a try. Alternatively there might have been a trailer on one of the demo discs of a videogame magazine or something.

Either way I went in comparatively blind. Then went in informed when it came out again on the XBox 360's online arcade and now own it again on PC. This is a game I've played from start to finish several times.

Plot summary / Basically Star Wars + Pokemon Snap?

A universe where travel between planets and anthropomorphic animals are relatively commonplace our hero, Jade (top picture, left right), does her best to keep an orphanage running on the relatively quiet planet of Hillys. I say relatively because recently the planet has come under siege from the kidnapping aliens called the DomZ, luckily the militaristic regime of the Alpha Sections opposes them at every turn... or do they?

The plot takes off from there and has the expected amount of twists and turns that I won't go into for the sake of staying relatively spoiler-free and brief, but it's very important to point out what Jade's role is in this. She's not a soldier or a fighter, she's (or very early in the game becomes) an investigative photojournalist.
That means you're taking pictures, and depending on what you're taking pictures of you might be sneaking around so people don't catch you doing that. But direct confrontations are rare, actively avoided and fled from.

Corner 1: Adventure 9/10 / "Let's get a move on, I've got a feeling the best is to come!"

What's more adventurous than a Zelda game? You've got the large dungeons that all work basically the same, the open world where you hunt around for heart containers and other hidden mini segments and the vibrant world that feels alive.
Of course this isn't a Zelda game, but it still has all of those things and more.
  • πŸš€ Gorgeous world to basically explore at your leisure. Primarily by hovercraft!
  • πŸš€ It's a story of a people realising they can and should rise up against their tyrants.
  • πŸš€ The ending sequence gets really epic, including last minute arrivals and daring rescues.
  • πŸ“‹  After the third (mostly optional) hovercraft race the splendour of them wears off.

Corner 2: Smart 7/10 / "Bring the proof of this conspiracy to the people and victory will be ours."

Unlike a Zelda there is a story being told that justifies going to the dungeons, not just to go defeat a boss but to uncover proof of some wrongdoing or conspiracy.
  • πŸ’‘  The story makes sense, flows correctly and dramatically and just makes sense.
  • πŸ’‘  No hand-holding for the optional bits, if you can't figure out how to get a picture, tough!
  • πŸ’€ The part of the villains' scheme that does get explained isn't super creative or interesting.
  • πŸ’€ There are no functional mirrors in the game. This isn't a big deal in ~any other game.

Corner 3: Heart 9/10 / "There's nothing anyone can do..."

And this is where I drop the Zelda analogy, because it no longer applies. You will care about Jade, her two sidekicks, 'her' orphans and her dog long before you're done with this game.
  • πŸ’– Primary method of engagement is non-violent.
  • πŸ’” - although it's kind of weird that it doesn't acknowledge violence you do commit.
  • πŸ’– The world and its characters feel so much more... more than almost any other videogame.
  • πŸ’– The music, it's just so very good.
  • πŸ’” Its post-credits cliffhanger will probably never be meaningfully paid off.
Whelp, those are some high scores. I think I'll have to give Star Wars some bad news...
Yeah, that's pretty conclusive already. And the score...

89.63

And I guess we have a new 'champion'. This doesn't necessarily mean that I think it's better than Star Wars, but it is apparently more up my alley.
Let's swing back to films for a bit, I want to see if I just rate colourful things highly.

Comments