Taste Triangle 2: The Road / What does a low score look like?



As a second part of testing my Taste Triangle, after Star Wars, let's look at a film that I expect will get comparatively low triangle scores. This doesn't mean it's a bad film, but it should indicate that it's a film that was entirely against what I've defined as my tastes.
Let's see how this goes!

My History / Basically nothing

I didn't see this in theatres, it was requested that I watch it by somebody that was confused by the ending. Unfortunately, I was also confused by the ending.

Plot summary / Grimdark to the Depressed Max

Oh dear... so, an unspecified apocalypse happened. The world is dying. Society has fallen apart and basically all life on the planet is slowly fading away. This isn't me trying to prevent spoilers, it's never actually addressed in the film.

The story, insofar as this can be called a story, follows a boy and his father as they try to make their way to the coast in this inhospitable version of the United States. They are cold, hungry and scared of anybody they run into (virtually all the time with good reason).

Corner 1: Adventure 3/10 / "We have to run. Don't look back."

  • ๐Ÿš€ I guess this still is a story of a journey into the unknown...
  • ๐Ÿ“‹  - but it's a miserable journey, filled with horrors instead of wonders.
  • ๐Ÿ“‹  The world is drab, grey and depressing.

Corner 2: Smart 1.5/10 / "We were always lucky. You'll be lucky again."

  • ๐Ÿ’ก There is a reveal about what happened to the mother/wife that is properly drawn out and presented. It is not a happy reveal, but that's not something this category cares about.
  • ๐Ÿ’ค The protagonists barely seem to know why they're heading for the coast.
  • ๐Ÿ’ค - and seem to get by mostly on dumb luck and running away from things.

Corner 3: Heart 2/10 / "Is it real? The fire? Papa?"

  • ๐Ÿ’– This is still a story about love. Of a father trying to do what is best for his son.
  • ๐Ÿ’” - there sure aren't any good options though.
  • ๐Ÿ’” The world is still drab, grey and depressing. Both this corner and Adventure care about that.
  • ๐Ÿ’” Grotesqueness for grotesqueness' sake describes slightly too many elements of this film.
  • ๐Ÿ’” I'm glad the ending didn't leave me sad, but confused is also not where I wanted to be.
So, time to see how that looks in the triangle. I'm not expecting much...
Oh wow, yeah that's definitely a huge change compared to Star Wars. That probably won't get much of a surface score either, huh?

5.85

Whelp, I did explicitly set out to get as low a score as possible, guess I succeeded.
Would be fun to try it with a film I actually liked but that I still expects to get low scores though... *glances at The Dark Knight*

Comments